Last Updated on February 7, 2023 by Brian Beck
I have been doing a lot of research lately that explains and proves the reality of using synthetics and the benefits of using a biological system of fertility. I have created a formula that will help to explain this and quantify what you are spending when you are using synthetics. Here is the formula: C+W(30%)+A+P+T
Cost of the use of synthetics: Synthetics + 30% of your water bill, aeration + pesticides (insecticides, herbicides, fungicides) = the total cost of using synthetics
There is is now let me explain…
If you are using synthetics you will:
- Lose carbon in your soil (carbon helps to hold water in the soil. For every 1% you increase organic matter you will DOUBLE the soils ability to hold water). Carbon is also the energy source (the battery) of the soil.
- Have increased levels of thatch (thatch will inhibit air, water and nutrients from getting into the soil). A lack of air will inhibit biological functions and promote disease. A lack of water and nutrients will promote stress which will lead to disease and death.
- Have a pH that is off point. Microbiology will help adjust the pH in a soil.
- Have compacted soil which will prevent air, water and nutrients from getting to the roots. Organic soils that have high levels of microbiology will aerate the soils through the fungal populations in the soil.
- Kill off microbiology which can also provide immune support for the plant that sends out chemical signals (if it is healthy) to microbes that are beneficial and will attack pathogenic microbes.
- Promote the instance of pathogenic fungal outbreaks as there are no beneficial microbes to protect the plant.
- Lessen the development of carbohydrates (sugars) which help the plant protect itself against insects and help feed beneficial microbes.
“We calculate that the average person with a 4000 ft² lawn is probably wasting $500-$750.00 per year in needless services, water and complications from the use of synthetics”
If you current lawn care provider does not use language like:
- Soil pH
- Soil moisture %
- Biology levels
- Brix level (sugar levels in the plant leaf)
- Carbon content
You should fire them because they are costing you money all while causing you more problems that you will have to pay for separately later to correct the damage from the synthetic usage.
We calculate that the average person with a 4000 ft² lawn is probably wasting $500-$750.00 per year in needless services, water and complications from the use of synthetics, most of which is in water.
If you want to learn how to have a lawn that will store water (rather than lose it), digest thatch, aerate itself and utilize atmospheric nitrogen. It doesn’t have to be hard. A great, healthy lawn that is high in organic matter and biology is actually very easy to manage.